Sunday, July 3, 2011

Some Photos From BONDING STRINGS Show At GOETHE INSTITUT, LAGOS.

'BONDING STRINGS' at Goethe Institut, Lagos. July 2011.
The first time I heard of Uchay Joel Chima was during the mixed exhibition Green Summary that was organized by Bisi Silva and her Centre for Contemporary Art. I had just arrived to the country as a new director of Goethe-Institut Nigeria and was still to discover as the fascinating artists of this incredible city and country. I met him shortly afterwards and he showed me some of his works. What amazed me most were his very unpretentious attitude and the quite force that emerged from him.
When I look now at the exhibition Bonding Strings I recognize some of the works he showed me – it is true, there is an “Uchay Joel Chima - style”. In 2008, he was already part of a project by Goethe-Institut Nigeria, the now famous public art project “IN GOD WE TRUST” that was curated by Emeka Udemba. We have been a close follower of his artistic vita.
I am therefore very happy to open up our exhibition hall for him and to renew the collaboration between Goethe-Institut Nigeria and Uchay Joel Chima.

Marc-Andre Schmachtel
Director
Goethe-Institut Nigeria.






































































































No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave your comment for Uchay